[EXIM] sender_host_[accept|reject]_relay and performance?

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] sender_host_[accept|reject]_relay and performance?
Hi!

In Germany, the latest ORBS action has caused some havoc. Apparently,
some danish site has done some scanning and reported all open relays
they found to ORBS. This has included some multi-level relays
including the major smarthosts of quite a few major ISPs in Germany.

de.admin.net-abuse.mail is currently discussing technical measures
against being blacklisted. Since I don't have a clue about how systems
behave under load, I'd like to ask the people who are running larger
installations to answer a technical question.

Suppose that a major site is running exim and is trying to do host
acceptance/rejection in a fine granularity. This site will have to
have big host lists in both sender_host_accept_relay and
sender_host_reject_relay lists. I assume that it is possible to have
these lists pulled into exim via a DBM file.

How would a sender_host_accept_relay list of - say - 10.000 IPs and/or
hostnames affect performance of an exim system on reasonably sized
hardware?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc