RE: [EXIM] exim, fetchmail and rejected mail

Author: Pollywog
To: Christian Dysthe
CC: Exim-users
Subject: RE: [EXIM] exim, fetchmail and rejected mail

On 06-May-99 Christian Dysthe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried to set up some spam filtering which means I have some mail
> rejected. I am using fetchmail to get my mail from my ISP.
>
> What happens is that fetchmail creates some response when mail is rejected,
> and
> this is what I find in my exim log (mainlog).
>
> 1999-05-06 11:19:45 reject all recipients: 3 times bad sender
> <FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@localhost> H=oddbird (localhost) [127.0.0.1] (root)
>
> My mail delivery stops up because of something I think might be some kind of
> "loop".
>
> Can anyone help (a newbie) please, and maybe send me an exim.conf where
> fetchmail, exim and rejects work together.

The rejects will not work correctly if you are using pop3 with Fetchmail, but
the filters will still work. If you want to reject messages, sending them
back to the sender, you can use "fail text" in a system filter, but since most
spammers forge their sender address, I would rather use "seen finish" in a
filter and they are merely discarded, not bounced.

I believe I stopped the repetetive bounce messages by putting "localhost" in
my relay_domains, local_domains, etc.

--
Andrew

> TIA