Re: [EXIM] Un-unlockable queue

Author: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
To: Leonardo Boselli
CC: Anand Buddhdev, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Un-unlockable queue

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Leonardo Boselli wrote:

> Well two more information:
> Even sendmail from another domain, using different DNservers
> refuse to deliver.
> It is not possible to deliver to any host on ing.unifi.it domain having
> no MX records.
> try sending to testt@???
> Even asking the dns ( the official secondary is 150.217.10.2 the
> primary is 150.217.1.32 ) it is not possible to retrieve even the
> domain list (while the other domains hosted on that machine talk
> fluently !)
> So i can say is not an exim-only flaw.

Probably becuase the DNS is failing - contact the operators of the
primary DNS and have them check their setup. Two things in particular
to check, often I have seen a zonefile that left out the priority of
the MX cause DNS to fail, and also putting an IP address instead of a
hostname (an MX has to point to a HOST *NAME*, not an IP)

# dig ing.unifi.it ns

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> ing.unifi.it ns
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 3
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ing.unifi.it, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ing.unifi.it.           4d10h20m54s IN NS  INGFI1.ing.unifi.it.
ing.unifi.it.           4d10h20m54s IN NS  dns.unifi.it.
ing.unifi.it.           4d10h20m54s IN NS  netra1.adm.unifi.it.

# dig @INGFI1.ing.unifi.it du.ing.unifi.it mx

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @INGFI1.ing.unifi.it du.ing.unifi.it mx
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 10
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      du.ing.unifi.it, type = MX, class = IN

;; Total query time: 314 msec