Re: [EXIM] Pipe transport option questions

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Bruce Bowler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Pipe transport option questions
On Tue, 4 May 1999, Bruce Bowler wrote:

> Realizing full well the dangers on the path I'm attempting to go down, are
> there values that I can put in for the pipe transport specific options
> timeout and max_output that say "there is no limit, run forever and fill
> the disk"?

timeout = 0

This should be documented; I will fix that. There isn't an equivalent
for max_output, so the best you can do is

max_output = 0x7fffffff

> While I'm at it, I have a message that is sent to me by third@???.
> It is sent to my main mail account. In the .forward file for that account
> I have some code that looks for messages from third@??? with a
> subject that matches a specific string. Messages like that get sent off to
> another machine where they are sent through the pipe transport to have some
> processing done based on the body of the message. If the "pipe transport"
> machine has an error that would normally cause an error message to be sent
> back to the sender (third@???), I want the error to really come back
> to me and not them, since I'm more likely to know what to do with the error
> than they are. What options do I need to set in which configuration file
> to accomplish that.

Instead of forwarding the message as you now do (which leaves the sender
unchanged) pipe it to a script on your local machine that resends it to
the other machine. The resending is then done as from you.

Actually, you probably don't even need a script, just something like

pipe "exim <other-address>"