[EXIM] exim looking up smarthost even if queue_smtp=yes?

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] exim looking up smarthost even if queue_smtp=yes?
Hi!

In my exim, I have set queue_smtp=yes. My remote mail is delivered
this way:

|SMARTHOST = smtp-smarthost.gf1.internal
|smarthost:
|        driver = domainlist
|        transport = remote_smtp
|        host_find_failed = freeze
|        route_list = "* SMARTHOST bydns_a"
|        verify = no

|mh@torres:/mnt/main6/home/mh > host smtp-smarthost.gf1.internal
|smtp-smarthost.gf1.internal is a nickname for smtp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
|smtp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de is a nickname for mailgate.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
|mailgate.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de has address 129.13.197.57
|mailgate.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de mail is handled (pri=100) by mailgate.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
|mh@torres:/mnt/main6/home/mh >

Thus, smtp-smarthost.gf1.internal is a CNAME for
smtp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de which in turn is a CNAME for
mailgate.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de.

Whenever I deliver e-mail to exim via port 25, this causes a lookup
for smtp-smarthost.gf1.internal. This triggers my dial-up connection.

Is there any way to disable these DNS queries if queue_smtp=yes? Exim
doesn't really need to look up the smarthost at this early stage of
delivery. It only needs to look it up when the actual delivery is
taking place, during a queue run.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Greetings
Marc