[EXIM] debugging string expansion in transports

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] debugging string expansion in transports
Thanks for the help that has been offered so far. Before sending to this list I
have spent quite a lot of time with the documentation trying to work things out
myself. There are so many options available that it is sometimes difficult to see
the wood for the trees. That is not meant as a complaint, it is inevitable with
such a configurable program.

Given that I am trying to set things up to replace an existing service, I am
spending a lot of time using "exim -bt -d9" to check what my drivers are doing.
That is fine, but the logging stops when an address is handed to a transport.

I have a director which selects addresses which are in the local domain and passes
them to a local_smtp transport:

local_smtp:
driver = smtp
gethostbyname
hosts = <complicated lookup>

When I run an address through "exim -bt -d9" I get all the search results from the
directors, but it ends with:

deliver to <user> in domain <domain>
director = local_remotes, transport = local_smtp

I would like to see the way the "hosts =" string expansion works out to check it.
I have used test_expand, but it is not easy to extract a complicated lookup from
the configure file to feed in.

Thanks,

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)