Re: [EXIM] strange problem I think

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Iqbal
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] strange problem I think
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Iqbal wrote:

> group=exim
> mode=0600 (well it was until the problem arose)
>
> Now when anyone deleivered mail onto our machine to the local users, all
> was fine, the permission on the mailbox was 0600 owned by the user, and
> the group was exim, where everyuser was amemeber of the group exim.

But since the mode was 0600, the group could not be relevant, unless you
need it to create the mailbox in a directory that is writeable by the
group.

> However when mail was sent from Hotmail/yahoo (other I havent checked)
> the mail failed, no errors in the reject_log none anywhere, its as if
> the mail bypasses the primary server and then went straight to the
> secondary. But mail sent from anywhere else in the world, from any
> account, worked fine straight into the mailbox.

Are you running with any kind of mail blocking? Have you got
verify_sender turned on? Maybe there was a temporary failure to verify,
though that should be logged in the reject log.

> So to fix this (didn't know it was a fix at the time) I changed the
> permission on the mailbox to 0644. This worked fine, people sending from
> other isp's were fine everyone received mail, but when hotmail/yahoo got
> in on the act, the first mail was delivered, but the second failed. The
> reason for this was that the permissions had changed back. I presume
> this had soimething to do with the mode setting above. But they only
> change when hotmail gets in on the act.

I cannot believe that the sender address or host has anything to do with
this. Did you or anybody else read the mailbox between deliveries? What
MUA was used. Some MUAs delete mailboxes when they are empty. Exim would
then create a new one with the mode set as specified.