Re: [EXIM] Address rewrite

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kenneth Johansson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Address rewrite
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Kenneth Johansson wrote:

> I have a problem with address rewrite. I dont know if its my problem
> (exim) or if it is the mail gateway that dose the rewrite.
>
> If I test exim with exim -brw <any mail address> I have no rewrite of
> any header. Is this a indication that I never ever will have a rewrite
> of the From field or can it happen in some case anyway.
>
> I use netscape (win) to write and send mail. In netscape I have set my
> email to ken@??? and this works for locally
> delivered mail but as you can se this is not what is in the From field
> when anything leave this machine.
>
> switchboard.ericsson.se is a dns alias for
> kieraypc01.p.y.ki.era.ericcson.se I guess that exim will get the later
> if it dose a lookup. Now can exim rewrite the From filed with this kind
> of setup ??

Exim should not rewrite addresses in header lines unless it is told to do
so. As far as I can see, switchboard.ericsson.se isn't an alias for
anything; it just has MX records pointing to various servers, whereas I
cannot find any entries for kieraypc01.p.y.ki.era.ericcson.se in the DNS
at all.

I don't think this is an Exim problem. Try sending me a message direct
(not via the Exim list) and I will send you back the headers, which will
show which machines it passed through, and may indicate what MTAs they
are running.