Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to …

Author: Steve Lamb
Subject: Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]

>I think you're way out of line there. Security and privacy alone *are*
>the reasons such redirects should be done where possible.

    Uh-huh.  I'd much rather my information not go through caching servers,
thank you very much.

>End-user ISPs *must* start taking more responsibility for their users
>(just as most corporations now do with their firewalls).

    No denying that.  But redircting is not the answer, perioud.

>Diagnostics are not something the general public should be fooling with,
>or should have to worry about. Too many cooks spoil the soup.

    Obviously someone who has never worked a day of technical support in his
life.

>Sometimes having only a little bit of information, or only a limited
>skill-set, etc., is very misleading. If an end user can't figure out
>that they've been re-directed to their ISP's own SMTP server (or just
>blocked) then they are not smart enough to be doing any such diagnostics
>and should defer to their service provider (not to their friends and
>strangers on mailing lists!). The Internet is a far more complex beast
>than it was before the masses took it over.

    Quite the contrary, information like that is invaluable to a tech support
person.  Esp. if the end user can resolve his own issue instead of pulling a
gerbel.  I've been on tech calls at an ISP that redirected.  I lost customers
as soon as they did found out.  They simply did not stand for it, no matter
what the reason.  Granted, they should defer to their ISP, but that does not
mean that the ISP should redirect in any case AT ALL.

- --