[EXIM] majordomo 2 work

Author: Jason L Tibbitts III
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] majordomo 2 work

RW> i think that Jason Tibbitts (the organizer & chief bottlewasher for the
RW> majordomo2 effort) joined this list and started looking at exim a month
RW> or so back.

I was getting a feel for what it would take to support it, but since I
don't run Exim myself I can't really do much of anything.

Mj2 will talk SMTP to do delivery, but it still has to tell the MTA how to
deliver things to it. It doesn't sit and watch port 25 itself. (I don't
particularly want to duplicate all of the neat stuff an MTA can do for
you.)

The impression I get is that a single alias file per virtual domain and
some additional director info is all that's required. Mj2 already
generates appropriate alias files for Sendmail; I've been hearing that the
virtusertable stuff isn't necessary with Exim. For the sake of
completeness I'd like to be able to generate the lines that you need to
past in to set up the directors as well. (We try to generate as much
configuration information as possible, doing it automatically when
feasible.)

I've pretty much decided to drop the idea of a single config entry
handling all of the Majordomo addresses. We generate alias files well
enough, although I think there is a permission issue currently.

I welcome any and all assistance from Exim-using folks in this.

- J<