[EXIM] minor self=local problems (and request for LMTP)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Stuart Lynne
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] minor self=local problems (and request for LMTP)
A couple of minor problems with using self=local.

First after moving one of my servers behind a masquerading firewall I
discovered that it does not seem possible to tell the exim that the IP
address of the firewall should be treated as equivalent to local. I thought
that perhaps one of:

    hosts_treat_as_local = "virtual0.fireplug.net:mail0.fireplug.net:gateway.fireplug.net"
    local_domains = "whiskey.wimsey.com:gateway.fireplug.net"

might have worked, but neither seems to. Am I missing something or is this
just something not supported yet?

Second I'm trying to use SMTP as a local delivery mechanism (well I would
prefer LMTP hint hint) and it is working well. Except that I need to be able
to conditionally deliver to an address based on the original address. I.e.
I am expecting to be able to build a transport like:

    smtp_delivery:
        driver = smtp
        service = 925
        hosts = "${domain}"
        non_mx_domains = "${domain}"
        batch_max = 1
        gethostbyname

The problem is that specifying ${domain} fails if more than one address
is trying to be delivered. And it appears that ${self_hostname} is not
available in transports called from a local director that was called from
a router using self=local.

More specifically what I am attempting to do is something like:

Mail addressed to:

    user@somedomain

is mapped to:

    user%somedomain@mailboxserver

If we run an MTA (exim) on each mailbox server it is simple to just route
the message using standard MX rules. But if we want to use a directed SMTP
(or LMTP) session we need to be able direct the smtp driver with the name
of the mailboxserver. I can use self=local if I can get self_hostname set.
But perhaps a better way to tell the smtp driver what system we want to
deliver to would be a better solution.

BTW LMTP support would be a nice addition to exim. It allows delivery to
mailbox (for example) servers that are separate standalone systems running
only the mailbox software. I.e. that system will accept mail with a very
limited MTA that does not have to do anything except accept a message and
store it in a mailbox or reject it. It does not have to store and forward or
manage a queue.

I think that LMTP is simple enough that simply adding an LMTP flag to the
smtp driver would suffice. LTMP changes the HELO/EHLO to LHLO and extends
the delivery notification to deliver a status per address instead of status
for all deliveries.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@???>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68