Re: [EXIM] Rewrite to <>

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jochen Topf
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Rewrite to <>
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Jochen Topf wrote:

> I have an internet mail host, which generates bounces with non-empty envelope-
> from. I want to rewrite them to the empty envelope-from to prevent mail loops.
> I tried the following rewrite rules:
>
> ^user@???$ "${if eq{$h_subject:}{ERROR}{<>}{$0}}" F
>
> and
>
> ^user@???$ "${if eq{$h_subject:}{ERROR}{}{$0}}" F
>
> Both rules don't work. Exim doesn't accept the empty address in this case:

No, the rewriting rules were implemented without regard to this case.

Is your mail host a different host to the one that is running Exim? If
it is, you might be able to do this using the "S" flag rewriting rule to
rewrite incoming SMTP addresses before any parsing is done, but I'm not
sure if that would work. The check may be deep in the rewriting code.