Re: [EXIM] WE BEG HELP FOR GOD´S SAKE

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: ACOPLASTICOS
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] WE BEG HELP FOR GOD´S SAKE
On 7 Apr 99, at 12:53, ACOPLASTICOS wrote:
> This is the situation:
>
> 1. I have an intranet with assigned IP addresses from 192.168.0.1 to
> 192.168.0.15

All regular until now ...
> What we want to do with the Exim MTA ?:
> 1. Internal email: An user of the intranet could send a message to
> another user of the intranet with the sender addresses unmodified in
> order to have normal email operation within our organisation.
> 2. External email: An user of the intranet could send an external
> message. Therefore the MTA must log into the assigned account of our
> ISP´s SMTP server and send the message with the sender address
> rewritten. That address must always be the same, i.e, the email address
> that was assigned by our ISP provider.
> 3. Finally we should do manually the external incoming mail processing
> (that is, the mail that arrives to our POP account of our ISP provider)
> with an utility like Fetchmail and therefore doing the forwarding of
> each message to the corresponding internal email account, managed by
> Exim.

Have you thought to get more e-mail addresses on the same isp or
even in other sites, possibly using the same mailbox ? (That is:
You get acoplast-1@??? acoplast-2@??? and so
on. For the provider it is just a line in aliases file, or you could use
for private mail some free e-mail provider, forwarding all these e-
mails to the only one mailbox you have, so fetchmail or any other
program you use could automatically distrubute inside.
Also, since you would have all unique addresses both in and out,
you could set the gateway mailer to recognize all these address,
and deliver locally according, without need to rewrite.
(more expert EXIM users should tell us how to do: the program
must make a lookup in an alias file with full qualified addresses ,
and then making local deliveries based on that addresses, then
process all other messages sending to the external smarthost
|This would be using only ONE exim daemon !
> The actual status ?
> 1. I have installed the Exim MTA. It correctly delivers the internal
> email.
> 2. I have read about the "split world" address rewriting posted before
> by someone. Therefore, I could configure 2 Exims, one receives the mail
> and the other rewrites it if external, communicating the 2 Exims by a
> private SMTP port. I think I did the things wrong. (or understood it
> wrong !!)
> 3. I have configured Exim in order to route the email using a
> "smarthost" but when I try to send an external email it says "The SMTP
> server answered <email address> prohibited by administrator" Of course I
> configured the email clients (Netscape, Eudora) to use the same SMTP and
> POP server, i.e, our Linux box.

It is unclear if you configured the exim server to deny relaying. In
your configuration it would be better to let it accept all from the
local hosts, inclusive of localhost !
I think is this the problem that forbide you to work.
Also you do not say WHAT of the many server ( the internal, the
secondary, the ISP one ?) refuse to go ahead !!!

> Well, for GOD´s sake, I beg you your kind help and advice. I am located
> in Colombia, South America. Here almost nobody knows about Linux or
> Exim. Just they know Microsoft.

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile