Re: [EXIM] Exim & Majordomo

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Bryce Newall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim & Majordomo
On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Bryce Newall wrote:

> Subject: [EXIM] Exim & Majordomo

> Unfortunately, the URL [of the exim/majordomo FAQ] listed in the Exim
> FAQ for this subject no longer works.

I believe that the maintainer of that FAQ is on this list, so hopefully we
will learn about its disposition soon.

> The problem I'm running into is that if, for example, there's an
> invalid address subscribed to a list, and the remote domain wants to
> let the list owner know that by bouncing a "user unknown" message
> back, instead of bouncing it to list-owner@, it's bouncing it back to
> majordom@.

In the exim FAQ (which is there) see Q0902

   Q0902: I have set $mailer in majordomo.cf, but it still isn't setting
   the sender correctly in the messages it sends.

   A0902: Make sure you have got the quoting correct in the $mailer
   setting. For example,
       $mailer = "$sendmail_command -oi -oee -f$sender\@lists.mydomain.de";

   is not correct. It needs three backslashes, not one, and the $ at the
   start of $sender has to be escaped with a backslash.

But I actually suspect that your problem is that you forgot to list
majodom as a trusted user. (You have to do with with any MTA, to do this
with exim have something like

trusted_users = root:exim:majordom

in the main part of your configuration file. These are the users who are
allowed to change the sender with the -f command line option.

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814