Re: [EXIM] off-topic: email appliances

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Paul Mansfield
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] off-topic: email appliances

paulm@??? said:
> Just received a blurb on an email appliance, said to solve all your
> mobile messaging needs. Details at http://www.mirapoint.com

> I guess they've taken the idea that NetApp have exploited so well in
> their toaster and proxy/cache engines, and produced a box for email.
> It's got web mail, pop & imap, all in one plug-and-go box.

> They compare their system to "freeware" (specifically
> sendmail+qpopper, with NFS for spool space). I guess therefore they've
> not quite surveyed the freeware marketplace.

There are a number of these around - for example the Cobalt Qube type
systems
    http://www.cobaltmicro.com/

This also uses sendmail and (I think() UW Imap. I know that in a
previous life I looked at it briefly, and for an OEM partner swapping
in exim looked like a simple operation.

The black box network appliance is here to stay - and you will find
lots based on an embedded linux system.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]