[EXIM] off-topic: email appliances

Author: Paul Mansfield
Subject: [EXIM] off-topic: email appliances

JustFYI.

Just received a blurb on an email appliance, said to solve all your mobile
messaging needs. Details at http://www.mirapoint.com

I guess they've taken the idea that NetApp have exploited so well in their
toaster and proxy/cache engines, and produced a box for email. It's got web
mail, pop & imap, all in one plug-and-go box.

They compare their system to "freeware" (specifically sendmail+qpopper, with
NFS for spool space). I guess therefore they've not quite surveyed the freeware
marketplace.

They have their own OS and application software, said to fit on a single floppy
disk. Hardware spool is RAID-5. CPU is Intel.

I guess they're aiming to steal market share from Intermail (www.software.com)

Paul
----
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your .signature file to help me spread!