Re: [EXIM] DNS problem + hacky patch

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Piete Brooks
CC: Lee McLoughlin, Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] DNS problem + hacky patch
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Piete Brooks wrote:

> I've not been following in detail, but I gather the question is
>    Is it OK to return no answers and no error, but give NSs which know better?

> If so, yes -- this is the standard reply from a non recursive NS.
> However, resolver code should not be using such a NS ...
>
> > I don't recall anybody having reported anything like this before,
>
> It "ought not" to happen, but things can be(come) misconfigured ...
> [ as it happens, only last week I had just such a report that one of our NSs
> was b*ggered .... feel free to try "dig @dns0.cl.cam.ac.uk sgr.co.uk. mx"
> ]

Thanks, Piete. That may be what is happening, but Lee reports that a
second query gets the data, whereas your nameserver gives the same
result each time. Maybe in Lee's case it is first asking some remote,
non-recursive NS and then next time trying a different one for the zone
which happens to be OK?