Re: [EXIM] DNS problem + hacky patch

Author: Piete Brooks
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Lee McLoughlin, Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] DNS problem + hacky patch
> Are there any DNS experts out there? Is this situation standard
> behaviour for resolvers?

I've not been following in detail, but I gather the question is
Is it OK to return no answers and no error, but give NSs which know better?

If so, yes -- this is the standard reply from a non recursive NS.
However, resolver code should not be using such a NS ...

> I don't recall anybody having reported anything like this before,

It "ought not" to happen, but things can be(come) misconfigured ...
[ as it happens, only last week I had just such a report that one of our NSs
was b*ggered .... feel free to try "dig @dns0.cl.cam.ac.uk sgr.co.uk. mx"
]