[EXIM] Having a program conditionally handle mail

Author: Jason L Tibbitts III
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Having a program conditionally handle mail
Greetings. I'm working on the rewrite of Majordomo called Majordomo2 and
have come to the point where I want to supply easy Exim configuration.
I've read the basic documentation but I don't run Exim myself so I can't
say I'm very well versed in it. I've had some discussions over in
majordomo-workers with Ben Smithurst on this issue but figured I'd bring it
to a more targeted group.

Majordomo2 can create the necessary alias files and such to work with
Sendmail and so these also work with Exim, but this is rather nasty and I'd
prefer to use a simpler method. We have a single program which accepts all
mail bound for Majordomo (including -owner addresses). If passed the
recipient address somehow, this program can decide whether it is indeed
bound for Majordomo and either process the message appropriately or return
immediately.

This provides a configuration method that requires no aliases: just before
giving up and bouncing a message with 'no such user', pass it through
Majordomo. If the return code is not favorable then the message wasn't
Majordomo's either and so it should bounce.

My question: is this possible with Exim? Mr. Smithurst suggested a method
that requires the embedded Perl interpreter and essentially builds the
decision program into Exim. While this is really quite interesting (the
actual work is some regexp manipulation and a stat), I'm not sure that it
is common to actually build Exim with embedded Perl.

Thanks for any insight.  BTW, some Majordomo2 info is at
http://www.hpc.uh.edu/majordomo/.  We welcome all testing and feedback.
--
Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs@??? - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics