RE: [EXIM] Virtual Domains

Author: David Latter
To: Philip Hazel, splash
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [EXIM] Virtual Domains
Thanks Philip I will look at that section.
In your FAQ you do have some configuration examples and say "Each sample
configuration is held in a separate file in the config.samples directory"
you might want to also say this file needs to be download from your ftp site
as that was half my problem I saw an example but could not find the archive
in Exim 2.10 so looked at the FTP site and found it there
(ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/exim/config.samples.tar.gz)

I use a great example from Andromeda <andromeda@???> it is file
C015 and was a great help. That brings me to another question

<--------config text cut-------->

localuser:
except_domains = "lsearch;/usr/exim/aliases/domains"
driver = localuser
transport = local_delivery

virtual:
domains = "lsearch;/usr/exim/aliases/domains"
driver = aliasfile
no_more
file = /usr/exim/aliases/$domain-aliases
search_type = lsearch

1. domains (contains the domains that you do virtual hosting for. Its format
is
as follows:

domain1.com
domain2.com
.
.
etc.

2. domain1.com-aliases (contains the addresses in domain1.com that you want
to redirect). The format is as follows:

bob: bob@???
adam: adam@???
.
.
etc.

<--------config text cut-------->

I dont use .forward files so I only put in the virtual director. I dont know
why you would put except_domains = "lsearch;/usr/exim/aliases/domains" in
the localuser: director. I have taken this out and it seems to work fine. I
have all our local domains in the /usr/exim/aliases/domains including
river.net.au so my understanding on this command is that do this director if
they dont appear in the domains file?

Also from your manual you state you could use the same file for domains and
routes could I make a file like this and use it?

# Local Domains and aliases
# Domain
    xyz.net
# Aliases
    bob@???     bob@???
    dl@???        fred@???
# Domain
    abc.net
#Aliases
    bob@???        bob@???
.
.
.
etc

I thought this might be an easy way to keep it all in 1 file. Now this might
not be good for anyone who lets the owner of the domain name to make there
own e-mail address up but we dont let them and we are the only ones to edit
this file.

Thanks for the help Philip.