Re: [EXIM] Logging & Scanning email

Author: Philip Hazel
To: vandeveb
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Logging & Scanning email
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 vandeveb@??? wrote:

> First, I need to be able to log all incoming/outgoing mails into a SQL database.

Trivial, using an Exim system filter, to pipe a copy of all mails to
some script. The system filter looks like this:

# Exim filter

if first_time then
unseen pipe "/some/script $recipients"
endif

It passes a list of envelope recipients to the script. If you don't want
these, just omit "$recipients". The "unseen" means that this doesn't
count as a real delivery, so the message also gets delivered to its
original recipients in the normal way. The "first_time" is there because
if there are several delivery attempts, the filter may get run several
times.

> Next, I need to be able to parse certain messages for certain keywords or
> phrases. If any of those keywords were found, the mail would need rerouting
> to a different address.

Depending on what you mean by "rerouting", this could be done either in
a user's filter file, or by a special director.

> Do you guys think Exim is suited to these tasks, or do I need to go commercial?

Exim can do it - in the ultimate, you can get Exim to call a Perl script
as part of its filtering or routing decisions.