Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Frederick Page
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?
On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Frederick Page wrote:

> So if I understand it correctly: I cannot make changes to any messages
> whatsoever, if I use Exim for "everything" that has to do with email?

You cannot make changes to messages from a filter file. This is because
Exim filtering is run *before* delivery. This has advantages and
disadvantages: one advantage is that a forwarding operation is a true
forwarding - the sender remains the same and the message remains the
same (and duplicate addresses are eliminated).

You can, of course, deliver via procmail from Exim. Then you can change
things in the message, but you cannot do a true forward. You have to
submit a new message, which will have a different sender.

I see these as two different facilities, serving different needs.

Those comments apply to ordinary users. Since you replaced sendmail with
Exim, you must be the admin of your machine. Another thing you could
arrange is a transport filter on your appendfile transport. This *is* a
case where the message is on the standard input and gets copied to the
standard output, so you could use sed. Check out the transport_filter
option.