Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?

Author: Frederick Page
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] How to remove string in subject?
Hi Philip Hazel,

you wrote on Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 05:26:46PM +0000:

>> if
>>    $header_Subject: contains "[Debian]: "
>> then
>>    pipe "sed -e 's/\[Debian\]: //'"
>> endif

>That will certain remove [Debian], but it won't achieve the effect you
>want, because the output of sed will, presumably, be written to the
>standard output rather than into your mailbox. When a pipe delivery
>produces output, it normally gets returned to the sender.

You are of course right. Each mail with this header is sent to root as
a delivery error :-( but with the correct subject-line :-)

Needless to say, that this is not what I had intended :-(

>If you want to make changes to messages as they are delivered, you
>should look into delivering through procmail.

That's why I chose Exim: I failed miserably in configuring sendmail
and since Exim's filtering was much more simple for me than the rather
cryptic procmail-recipes, I thought "heck, why two programs if Exim
can do both? No need for procmail."

>Do not naively add something like "> /my/mailbox" to your existing
>command because that will not apply the correct interlocking.
>(Actually, it won't work anyway, because pipes are not run via a
>shell unless you specify it explicitly.)

Thanks for this tip, I immediately thought of redirecting the output
but you are right again, the docs state explicitly, that the pipes are
not run via shell and warn about IFS ...

So if I understand it correctly: I cannot make changes to any messages
whatsoever, if I use Exim for "everything" that has to do with email?

Kind regards

Frederick

--
DOS = Denial Of Service