Re: [EXIM] parallel deliveries of big list on different mach…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: mark david mcCreary
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] parallel deliveries of big list on different machines
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, mark david mcCreary wrote:

> a_thru_l_domains:
>    driver = domainlist,
>    transport = smtp,
>    self = fail_soft,
>    host_find_failed = fail_soft,
>    pass_on_timeout = true,
>    route_list = "^[a-l].* delivery.com bydns";

The .* at the end of your regex achieves nothing other than to waste a
little bit of processor time.

> It looks like the envelope sender remains what it would be, if not routed
> thru delivery.com, which is good, but wasn't what I was expecting. That
> is, delivery .com is noted in the Received Headers, but not the Return_Path.

Exim does not modify the return path when relaying mail. Source routing
is deprecated these days. The draft of the revised RFC 821 (colloquially
called 821bis, actual name draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-09.txt) says:

  The <reverse-path> contains the source mailbox
  (between "<" and ">" brackets, which can be used to report errors
  Historically, the <reverse-path> can contain more than just a mailbox,
  however, contemporary systems SHOULD NOT use source routing (see
  appendix C).

> If I did that, what might be a reasonable number for max_rcpt on the
> transport. The bigger the better, but I don't want to crash Exim with too
> many names at one time. I would be sending from one Exim machine to
> another.

Exim has no "reasonable" limit. However a message with thousands of
recipients is going to use up more memory during delivery, and take
longer. If you used a limit of 100-500, say, you would get more
parallelism.

> Another option would seem to be the BSMTP (Batched SMTP) option provided by
> Exim, but that is the extent of my knowledge about BSMTP.

BSMTP is for delivery into files and pipes, not over the network.