[EXIM] parallel deliveries of big list on different machines

Author: mark david mcCreary
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] parallel deliveries of big list on different machines
Exim People

I am interested in busting up the delivery of a big mailing list among
several computers, each one on a different connection to the net, all
running Exim, and am looking for some feedback on the various alternatives.

The domainlist router seems like a good starting point. That is, I could
have something like

a_thru_l_domains:
    driver = domainlist,
    transport = smtp,
    self = fail_soft,
    host_find_failed = fail_soft,
    pass_on_timeout = true,
    route_list = "^[a-l].* delivery.com bydns";

It looks like the envelope sender remains what it would be, if not routed
thru delivery.com, which is good, but wasn't what I was expecting. That
is, delivery .com is noted in the Received Headers, but not the Return_Path.

If I did that, what might be a reasonable number for max_rcpt on the
transport. The bigger the better, but I don't want to crash Exim with too
many names at one time. I would be sending from one Exim machine to
another.

Another option would seem to be the BSMTP (Batched SMTP) option provided by
Exim, but that is the extent of my knowledge about BSMTP.

Would anybody like to comment on the pros and cons of these two methods, or
offer an alternative, or areas of concern.

Thanks in advance.

mark

mark david mcCreary
Internet Tools, Inc.                      1436 West Gray #438
mdm@???             Houston, Texas 77019
http://www.internet-tools.com   713.627.9600