Re: [EXIM] exim and pgp

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alex Stellwag
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] exim and pgp
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Alex Stellwag wrote:

> Now I want to use the exim-specific filter rules which means that I have to
> abandon my .forward file (which is currently invoking procmail).

Exim filters and procmail provide different facilities. Exim filters run
at directing time, before *any* deliveries are done. A filter is like a
".forward file with conditions". One of the benefits is de-duplication.
Another is that if you forward, you are forwarding the original message.

However, it means that pipes etc. are not run at filtering time, not can
you change the headers, because the message may have other recipients
and there is only one set of headers during directing/routing.

Procmail runs at delivery time. This is for one recipient only, and so
it can change headers, run pipes and check the results, etc. However, it
it wants to forward, it has to created a new message containing a copy
of the original message.

It's your choice as to which of these you use. You can of course use
both.

> Does anybody know how I can insert the pgp-header line using exim filters ? I
> did not find anything in the manuals.

You can't insert headers in a user filter. A system filter can do so,
but the inserted lines then are included for all recipients.