[EXIM] Unfortunate error... [the return of...]

Author: Oliver Smith
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [EXIM] Unfortunate error... [the return of...]
I mentioned that I was seeing errors from people sending out Emails with
headers along the lines of:

To: Work: Jim <jims@email>,
    Home: Bob <bobs@email>

and Exim wasn't liking this; although I could see why this is technically an
error, I wondered if it was something I could specifically turn off.

The (brief) discussion bounced this off as breaking RFC 822.

Unfortunately; according to RFC 822, I should have received none of the
replies. All the subject lines began with the three letters Re:, and most of
your received headers had colons in them too.

So, what I'm wondering is:

Making Exim pick up these errors is obviously an overhead (since it requires
a more complex rule), and it's not applied with any degree of accuracy.

The trouble is that I want most of the rest of the errors that header syntax
checking detects, but unless the offending mailers start quoting the textual
part of usernames (which is a bad habbit they probably picked up from older
versions of Elm), we're going to end up with a lot (big numbers) of
frustrated end-users out there who are trying to figure out what's wrong
with the _email address_ part of

Work: john@??? <john@???>
instead of
"Work: john@???" <john@???>

Your average-to-majority user is going to think "But I even got it right
twice????".

Oliver
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Smith;Oliver;;;
FN:Oliver Smith
ORG:;
TITLE:Software Developer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+44 (181) 371-1273
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+44 (181) 346-6645
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+44 (973) 384129
ADR;WORK:;;;;;;
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=0D=0A, =0D=0A
ADR;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Flat 4=0D=0A9 Mountfield Road=0D=0AFinchley;London;;N3 3ND;United Kingdom
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Flat 4=0D=0A9 Mountfield Road=0D=0AFinchley=0D=0ALondon, N3 3ND=0D=0AUnited=
Kingdom
URL:http://www.kfs.org/~oliver/
BDAY:19710628
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:oliver@???