[EXIM] .forward problem

Author: Michael Jenner
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] .forward problem
Hope it's ok to post this question here - please forgive me if wrong
forum.

I'm trying to have Exim do some simple mailnotification using .forward
files. I'm using Redhat Linux 5.1 - with simple redirection of a few
links to sendmail binary. Here's my .forwardfile:

\<user>
"|/bin/grep Subject|/usr/bin/smbclient -M <netbiosname>"

What I would like it to do is to deliver mail to local user <user> and
have it use samba's linux client and M$'s SMB winpopup feature to notify
user. However, grep complains on syntax (grep returns error code 2
<something>). grep claims not to know of the -M option !!!

I have tried almost everything to make it work (# Exim filter pipe
instead of ordinary .forward file, several modifications to above
.forward file: \" \| etc ...) - unfortunately all without luck.

Solutions, hints etc. are very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Michael