Re: [EXIM] Multiple PTR records for a Reverse DNS lookup

Author: Malcolm Beattie
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Multiple PTR records for a Reverse DNS lookup
Philip Hazel writes:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > Nope, at least this is not a problem with relatively modern DNS resolver
> > implementations. This is what the "h_aliases" list is for.
>
> Ah! It would be nice if this were more obviously documented. I sort of
> associated "aliases" with "cnames". Thank you. I will do some
> experiments when I get the chance and see if I can improve Exim's
> handling of this case.

The POSIX.1g draft networking API and associated IPv6 work have
cleaned up the API around finding names and addresses. You get
getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo() which give you nice generic
structures that cope with all sorts of name and address types.
Since it looks as though exim has some IPv6 support in it (though
I haven't looked closely) it might be worth thinking about the new
get{addr,name}info() API.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@???>