[EXIM] RBLed sites and prohibition messages: a suggestion.

Author: Tom Marazita
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] RBLed sites and prohibition messages: a suggestion.
Howdy fellow exim users,

About six months ago we began making use of the three major RBL
lists (MAPS, ORBS, DUL, and DSSL); this has greatly reduced
incoming spam. It has, of course, also caused legitimate mail to
be rejected.

To help educate people as to why our mail server rejects their
mail I would like to have a web page that publicly presents our
policies, and would like to make reference to it (and perhaps
include other site-specific messages) through the
prohbition_message facililty; however, the exim manual states:

"This facility does not apply when the prohibition is due to an
entry in a Realtime Blocking List and a message is available from
a DNS TXT record. In that circumstance, the TXT message is used
instead."

It seems like it would be really cool if the DNS TXT record could
just be available in either $prohibition_reason or some similar
variable. Then it would be possible to add your own
site-specific message as well as the DNS TXT record from the RBL.

Perhaps there is some reason I'm missing that would prevent this from
being practical?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Marazita, Manager ECI Systems | Engineering Computing Infrastructure
                  | 3110 Engineering 1
toad@???      | University of California
voice: 805 893-3221          | Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5120