Re: [EXIM] address rewriting case sensitivity

Author: Philip Hazel
To: James FitzGibbon
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] address rewriting case sensitivity
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> I have the following address rewriting configuration:
>
> *@cdb;ETCDIR/rewrite_domains.cdb
>    ${lookup{$domain}cdb{ETCDIR/rewrite_domains.cdb}
>    {${local_part}@$value}fail}    Eh

> Yet I notice that during verification (and delivery) the comparison for
> the domain is case sensitive (or more specifically, the address is not
> lowercased prior to being looked up in the CDB file):

There is a logical problem here. The value of $domain is the actual
domain which appears in the address. It could of course be lower cased,
but I know that would cause some people unhappiness. In the early days
of Exim I made some changes in this regard, in order to preserve the
printing format of domains, because some people have mixed-case domain
names which look rather silly if the case is changed. Thus, one wants to
preserve the domain in rewrites such as

*@*.TheRap.com <something>@$domain

(not the best example) because "therap" doesn't look like two words. I
know it seems trivial, but it is important to some people - especially
if by some unfortunate accident the lowercased word is something
indecent.

You can, of course, trivally force lower casing by means of the ${lc:
operator (which I assume you know about).

You are right, though, in saying that this should be made clear in the
documentation. I have made a note to add this to the section on
rewriting replacements.

I think "matters of case" gets the award for the seemingly most trivial
thing which causes the most aggro in handling email.