[EXIM] address rewriting case sensitivity

Author: James FitzGibbon
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] address rewriting case sensitivity

I have the following address rewriting configuration:

*@cdb;ETCDIR/rewrite_domains.cdb
    ${lookup{$domain}cdb{ETCDIR/rewrite_domains.cdb}
    {${local_part}@$value}fail}    Eh

(that's all supposed to be on one line obviously)

The CDB file contains several lines, one of which is:

[mail3:james] /opt/mail/etc (73) # cdbdump < rewrite_domains.cdb
+7,8:ican.ca->ican.net

[mail3:james] /opt/mail/etc (74) #

Yet I notice that during verification (and delivery) the comparison for
the domain is case sensitive (or more specifically, the address is not
lowercased prior to being looked up in the CDB file):

[mail1:james] ~ (30) # exim -v -bv normal@???
Address rewritten as: normal@???
901456@???
    <-- normal@???
  deliver to 901456 in domain accglobal.net
[mail1:james] ~ (31) # exim -v -bv normal@???
normal@??? failed to verify:
  the user "normal@???" was not found
[mail1:james] ~ (32) #

Is this normal ? I can't find any mention of case issues in the Address
Rewriting section of the manual. If this behaviour is correct, should
something be added to the manual to explain it ?

TIA.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610