Re: [EXIM] SMTP timeouts?

Author: Paul Mansfield
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] SMTP timeouts?
On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Well, according to your log, this is happening during the DATA part of
> the transfer. Exim is simply sucking data, looking for a line that
> contains just "." which is the terminator. So it really isn't doing much
> processing. When it gets that "." it might indeed do some lookups, if
> you have header verification set, but the log shows that it is still
> trying to read the header data, so it hasn't got that far. What it has
> seen so far is a valid SMTP transaction, up to the DATA command, to
> which it has sent a "3xx" response.

I saw this problem once with a network that was dropping all packets over a
certain size (due to a Cisco bug^H^H^Hfeature), which mean that the first part
of the SMTP transaction worked, but when the body of the mail started flowing,
the main data bits never got through the network. This can also happen if a
machine has a broken TCP stack and won't reassemble fragmented datagrams.

Humour me for a moment: try pinging with large packets just to check... start
with 1300, then 1500 (larger than the MTA), and a few thousand...
    ping -s remotemailserver 1700

etc

Paul
----
# make your computer seem faster - go back to using a 386 for a day! #