[EXIM] SMTP retries/timeouts and ETRN

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Andy Doran
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] SMTP retries/timeouts and ETRN
Hello all.

Just trying to figure out if this is a defined part of Exim's
behaviour. I have two hosts, host A and host B, both with intermittant
links. When the link to host A is down, a 'no route to host' message will
be returned for any attempted connection. Host B connects using PPP
(and hence proxy ARP), so any attempted connections to host B will simply
time out.

When I send an ETRN to the upstream MX for each host, delivery for
host A starts right away, but not for host B ('retry time not reached
yet'). The upstream MX for host A isn't under my control (however it does
run Exim). The upstream MX for host B is. What I'm trying to understand is
whether this is a configuration issue or defined behaviour.

If it is, I can put in a ipfw (firewall) entry to return an icmp
unreachable message for host B when the link isn't up, but this is
something that I'd rather not do..

Ideas?

Andy.

    "... handing C++ to the average programmer seems roughly
     comparable to handing a loaded .45 to a chimpanzee." -- Ted Ts'o