著者: Tabor J. Wells
To: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] RBL and <>
On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 05:23:31PM +0200,
Vadim Vygonets <vadik@???> is thought to have said:

> Quoth Philip Hazel on Fri, Jan 08, 1999:
> > On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, James FitzGibbon wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what type of mail server responds with a 554 instead of a 220
> > > when you open a connection to it though.
> >
> > 554-This host is no longer providing an SMTP service.
> > 554 Please reconfigure your MUA to use xxxxxxx.
>
> Wow. I suppose that most of those SMTP servers are implemented
> as:
>
> $ grep smtp /etc/inetd.conf
> smtp stream tcp nowait nobody /bin/cat cat /etc/nosmtp
>
> Vadik.

Indeed. Although we choose to use tcp wrappers so ours looks like:

> grep smtp /etc/inetd.conf

smtp        stream tcp nowait nobody   /usr/sbin/in.tcpd no.mail

> cat /usr/local/etc/banners/no.mail

554-This machine is not a mail server. If you are receiving this
554-it is because your mail server does not know how to use DNS
554-to deliver mail to the MX records for Shore.Net instead of the A
554-record. Please contact your ISP and have them fix their mail
554 server. If you have any questions, please contact support@???

Today's hits:

> grep no.mail wrap.info | wc -l

    213

In all of the months this has been in place, I have never once seen an
email sent to support@??? about it. Of course that may be because
their mail bounces off this again. ;-)

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                          twells@???
Shore.Net Systems Admin.     Just another victim of the ambient morality