著者: James FitzGibbon
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Georg Bauer, exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] RBL and <>
On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:

> > I'm not sure what type of mail server responds with a 554 instead of a 220
> > when you open a connection to it though.
>
> 554-This host is no longer providing an SMTP service.
> 554 Please reconfigure your MUA to use xxxxxxx.

I hadn't considered that one. The clue factor of our users is generally
so low that even if those exact words came up on screen from Eudora or
Outlook, they'd still call up and ask Tech Support how to do it. Since
human costs are invariably higher than machine costs, our strategy (if you
can call it that) has usually been to put a cheap (Freenix clone box)
running a forward-only SMTP daemon up on the old IP.

I'll concede that the ISP business has very different tolerances for this
kind of thing though. In an academic environment, I can see the
application working quite well.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610