Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Philip Hazel
To: Julian
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: Feeping Creaturism (was Re: [EXIM] syslog?)
On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Julian wrote:

> I was thinking about this general area the other day, and it occured to
> me that gnu configure might well be something worth adopting for the exim
> build process? Slowly more features are creeping onto the list of
> things it can do, and this might help in the future, when you configure
> exim for a new machine, to be able to use an old configure command line,
> rather than manually editing the Makefile?
>
> I know that this is a lazy thing to do, but it does seem appropriate,
> at least to my mind.
>
> Any thoughts? (Drat, the obvious/only person to comment is Philip, and
> I assume he won't be back till Jan 4th?)

I'm checking my mail from home (courtesy a friendly UK ISP).

I have commented before on GNU configure. One of my colleagues
previously tried to "configure" Exim. He thought it would take a
weekend. After two weeks he had to give up. The problem was, as I
understood it, in making choices between optional things, e.g. which
DBM library to use.

I build Exim on a lot of machines when testing. I keep a canned
Local/Makefile which normally does the trick. This is surely as easy as
a command line?