Re: [EXIM] 421: unexpected log failure

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Alexandre Roy
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [EXIM] 421: unexpected log failure
On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Alexandre Roy wrote:

> exim 2.05 is installed on our mail gateway.
> A user is trying to send a mail to around 40 adresses (an alias in Eudora),
> while sending from Eudora to exim, he receives the following
> message:
>
> 421: unexpected log failure

I do not recognize this message. It is syntactically invalid, for a
start (that colon should not be there). That text does not appear
anywhere in the source of Exim (I've just grepped for "unexpected"). Are
you *sure* that Eudora is talking to Exim? Oh, wait, I think what you
might have seen is

421 Unexpected log failure, please try later

(It does help to quote messages *exactly* when reporting things.) That
message is given if Exim is unable to open its panic log to report a
panic error (which might be failure to open the main log). Have a look
to see if there is anything in the main or panic logs. There may also be
something on the system log. Check out the permissions on Exim's log
directory and log files.

> I also have another problem: exim refused somtimes to deliver immediatly a
> message and we find the following in the log:
>
> no immediate delivery: too many connections (7, max 0)

This is a bug in exim 2.05. The bug is that it gives the wrong message.
The bug is fixed in 2.10. The ChangeLog entry reads:

9. Log entries for queued messages on a single SMTP connection other than the
first such message were incorrectly given as if the queueing was for too many
SMTP connections, instead of for too many messages or load average too high.

Check out the setting of smtp_accept_queue_per_connection, which is
probably what is causing the queueing.