Re: [EXIM] LISA '98 Practicum talk on MTAs

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: James FitzGibbon
To: Paul D. Robertson
CC: Tom, exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] LISA '98 Practicum talk on MTAs
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

> IBM's lawyers apparently haven't gotten very good at giving things away
> yet (but it seems they're getting lots of practice these days :) ), and most
> of the delay for the last couple of months has been due to legal stuff
> (Patent searches, trademark searches...), VMailer was thought to be too close
> to another trademark, hence the name change to Postfix, though I think the
> official product name will be something totally silly like
> "IBM Secure Internet Mail".
>
> As far as taking it seriously, Wietse has a good history of producing
> excellent results.

By his own admission, statistical analysis of his "first public run" code
has 1 bug per 1000 lines. When Postfix is released, there will be an
estimated 30 bugs in it.

I think he said this more to say that Postfix has only 30,000 lines of
code (his next comment was about the NT kernel), but it's still going to
need a shakedown before it gets adopted in a production environment.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                                james@???
System Engineer, ACC Global Net                   Voice/Fax (416)207-7171/7610