[EXIM] oy vay

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: os
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] oy vay

My first question, and I already get everyone all worked up over
a question of philosophy. Let me state my humble .02 as user,
and then rephrase my question to form a different thread for it
to become answer :)

As a user evaluating mail servers for virtual hosting, it is of course
essential
to be able to set up different directories for virtual domains, independent
from
/etc/passwd on a separate user base. I've found diffent mailers using a
variety of systems to find their spool directories.

But also, it is mostly the case, except if you're setting up a mere mail
relay,
that users be able to access their mail directories at least via POP. In
most cases
you do not want to set up local users for that purpose, nor do you want to
have a
second database mapping usernames to spool files, since you already set up
that
logic for the delivery process. The "ideal" solution for me appears to be a
combined
configuration file for account, password, and email-addresses. In no case I
can
make use of a mail delivery agent without a POP agent.

It is not up to me to decide whether exim should package a customized
POPper,
all I can say is that it was the first item I've been looking for... does
there come an
easy to use popper with it so I can have a ready to go "mail package", or
will I have
to spend tons of effort to make a SMTP/POP system go with a lot of
redundancy,
which every time makes the probability of misconfigurations that go
unnoticed bigger.

Now my question was a different one though. I'm sure other people face the
same
problem, and I was asking for an existing POPper, that can be configured to
make use
of exim's /etc/passwd.domain file, for example by evaluating the password
entry in there
which exim ignores, and finding the file by a domain name mapping or an
additional
POP-userid -> domainfile + username-entry mapping. No matter whether it's
packaged
with exim or not, I need to know a frequently used reliable package that can
make
easy use of exim's delivery structure and doesn't need a full-time employee
to maintain
the user base for a couple of domains.

As I said, just my humble .02 :)

Ollie