著者: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Julian
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: Request (was [EXIM] POP)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Julian wrote:
> There are several pop daemons out there, but I'd actually like to make a
> kind of request - How about a pop/imap daemon to go with EXIM, you know
> exipop and eximap - as part of the package. They may even be aware at
> compile time of what format your are planning on storing your mailbox in..
>
> It would be quite nice to have a more complete package.

pop/imap daemons have a significant issue which exim is spared:
authentication. I'm certain it would be better to integrate them into the
system than make them part of the exim package.
Just think how many different authentication methods Phil would have to
support: password files, shadow passwords, NIS, NIS+, pam, ...
And I don't see how exim would gain anything from this.

> Although I admit
> that there purpose is very much separate to exim, I have little doubt that
> there are areas of integration that could work quite well. Not to mention
> the fact that every pop daemon out there appears to have (had) buffer overrun
> problems with significant security implications.

That sounds like a very good reason not to have another pop/imap daemon.
Let us not dilute the effort into making/keeping them secure.

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna