Re: [EXIM] Exim and ISDN (was: Exim is too fast?)

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Sheldon Hearn
To: Mark Seuffert (Pirates)
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [EXIM] Exim and ISDN (was: Exim is too fast?)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:22:22 +0100, "Mark Seuffert (Pirates)" wrote:

> It's possible to slow down the local proxy (squid)... but what about
> the MTA? No other service makes so much traffic, that I would wish to
> limit the resource consumption.

Hi Mark,

You've already had a response suggesting that you impliment this at
router level. For the sake of completeness in the exim archives (this
question is bound to come up again), I'd like to offer one more comment.

Your question touches on the issue of traffic shaping / bandwidth
limiting, where your gateway router is prioritizing traffic based on the
nature of the traffic. This is confusing for the operators of small
networks, because the gateway router is often also the mail server / web
server etc.

Regardless, that's the machine on which routing software needs to make
decisions. Different platforms offer different solutions at the routing
level. You've already had mail about Linux. There are solutions for
FreeBSD as well (CURRENT has DummyNet support, for the 2.2 branch, see
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/ipltd_v2.01.tgz) and I would
imagine you'll find solutions for any modern UNIX.

For a general discussion of the concepts behind traffic shaping /
bandwidth limiting, see http://www.allot.com/traffic_shapingWP.htm .

By the way, you may see options in the Exim documentation that refer to
load -- these refer to CPU workload, not network traffic load.

Ciao,
Sheldon.