[EXIM] bug in exim when talking to non-ESMTP host?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Paul Mansfield
A: Exim users mailing list
Asunto: [EXIM] bug in exim when talking to non-ESMTP host?

We've had a complain about a supposed bug in Exim from a customer, who
relies on us for MX backup.

We've had noone else ever complain about this, for sending or receiving mail,
so I reckon it's their system that's broken.

When their machine has been down and comes back up again, Exim, so they say,
tries to deliver all the mail down the same connection, and they then end up
with all their mail into one big message which they manually have to sort out.

They make it clear that their machine is specifically NOT esmtp capable, and I
tested it and it refused to accept an EHLO greeting (IP addresses changed):
    % telnet mail.pdq-it.com smtp
    Trying 1.2.3.4...
    Connected to mail.pdq-it.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 1.2.3.4 Service ready by David PostMan (Tobit Software, Germany)
    ehlo myhost
    502 Command not implemented

According to http://www.exim.org/exim-html-2.00/doc/html/oview.html#SEC15
this is normal, but leads me to ask:

Q1) However, should this only work when talking to ESMTP capable hosts?

Q2) Is it simply that the customer's SMTP gateway too dumb and doesn't obey
the RFCs?

thanks for time.

Paul