[EXIM] CDB - any good?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Horne
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] CDB - any good?
Hello,

At present we maintain an NDBM file (amongst others) of all our users - this
currently amounts to around 35,000 entries. The mailhub currently runs on a
Sun Ultra 1 with Solaris 2.5.1, exim 2.05, 64MB memory. I have just obtained
a copy of the CDB package and the perl CDB module since it may well be worth
our looking at using this instead for performance reasons. Having said that,
the ultra seems to have no problems with just an NDBM file. (So why change?)

Unfortunately changing from NDBM to CDB isn't going to be so straightforward,
due to the programs we use to create and maintain our files, and the
different formats of the input files. So, before proceeding with this too far,
I guess I'd like to know if anyone has any problems with CDB, is it used by
many exim administrators, will there be a significant improvement over NDBM
with 35,000 entries (difficult I know until we try it, but has anyone moved
from NDBM to CDB with a similar number of entries) or would we be best just
leaving things as-is?

There is no pressing *need* to change to CDB since the ultra is coping, but
if moving to CDB is not too much of a problem, and there is expected to be
some reasonable improvement, which will also offset any further increase in
the number of users and still be running on the ultra for some time, then it
would be worthwhile, wouldn't it?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne                                     E-mail: J.Horne@???
Academic and Information Services              Phone :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233914
University of Plymouth, UK                     Fax   :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233919