[EXIM] chrooted environment

Author: Gyan Mathur
To: exim-users
CC: gyan
Subject: [EXIM] chrooted environment
What-ho

Just a quick check to see if anyone has done anything like this and
had any problems with it: I need to run Exim on a web server which has
got both a "normal" environment and a chrooted one providing limited
facilities. The idea is that the web server needs to be able to send
mail from within the chrooted environment, ie it treats /www as if it
were / and there is a suitable subset of utilities in /www/etc ,
/www/usr and so on.

I'm configuring Exim so that the binaries are in /usr/exim/bin , the
queues are in /var/spool/exim , and the logs are in /var/log/exim . I
thought the best thing would be to share the queues and logs between
the normal and chrooted environments, ie set up /www/var/spool/exim
and /www/var/log/exim with soft links from /var/spool/exim and
/var/log/exim . Can anyone see any problems with this? I'm thinking
of locking etc.

I was thinking of running a queue runnner in the "normal" environment
(no SMTP listener as this machine isn't meant to receive mail) but
using the same configuration in both normal and chrooted environments
-- maybe even putting Exim into /www/usr/exim with another soft link
from /usr/exim -- so that mail from the chrooted environment would be
sent immediately in most circumstances but would be picked up by the
queue runnner if not. (All mail would be sent straight to one of our
hubs so the only reason for delay would be if the hub was overloaded
or down.)

Alternatives would be (a) to use a different config in the chrooted
environment so that all mail was queued and then picked up by the
queue runner in the normal environment or else (b) to set everything
up completely separately, with separate queues, logs and binaries, and
have a queue runner in the chrooted environment as well as the normal
one.

Anyone got any experience of / comments on anything like this?

Thanks

Gyan.