Re: [EXIM] aliases again

Author: Philip Hazel
To: me
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] aliases again
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, me wrote:

> virtual:
> driver=aliasfile
> #transport=local_delivery
> domains=domain1.com
> file=/mail/aliases/$domain
> search_type=lsearch
>
> ---------
> This works it sends it correctly to the new alias, however if I
> uncomment the transport line out it fails. Can someone explain the
> difference because I thought that the director would get called , the
> read the alias file (which it does-either way) and then call the
> local_deliver transport.

See section 22.6 ("Specifying a transport") in chapter 22 ("The
aliasfile director").

There is no way to get aliasfile to generate a list of new addresses
*and* send each of them to a specific transport. Each generated address
is directed/routed on its own. So if you have

A: B, C

and do not set a transport in your alias file, mail to A is delivered
in the same way as (separate) mail to B and C would be (one copy each).
If you do set a transport, mail to A is delivered to that transport
(without changing the address, a single copy); mail to B and C is
delivered as before.

> Ideally I would like
>
> -rw------- iqbal exim iqbal
>
> how do I do alias delivery for something like this, since it keeps
> throwing up UID/GID errors

The default configuration file does delivery like this (except it's your
group and not group exim). However, if the mailbox is in a shared
directory you need to set the sticky bit. See Q201 in the FAQ.