Re: [EXIM] transport_filter for incoming SMTP

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] transport_filter for incoming SMTP
[ On Fri, October 16, 1998 at 09:26:17 (+0100), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] transport_filter for incoming SMTP
>
> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Ilya Ketris wrote:
>
> >    It will achieve exactly what I want -- first,
> >    the message will never reach my server, and
> >    second, it will make the message stuck on the
> >    spam server and punish it by lying around for
> >    days and days which in turn, may draw the
> >    admin's attention to the problem.

> <Hollow laugh>
>
> Sorry, I'm too cynical to believe that that would happen in practice.

The Open Relay Blocking System reduces the bandwidth consumed even by
innocent relay hosts to the bare minimum SMTP handshake necessary to
brush them off. See http://dorkslayers.com/orbs/.

I've received only one such message since subscribing to the service
(it's available as an RBL-like domain: *.orbs.dorkslayers.com), and of
course since anyone can submit potential relays for testing, they don't
last long. Since those blocked can submit themselves for testing once
they've fixed their mailers, the impact on innocent users is the minimum
necessary to correct the problem.

Of course the dial-ups originating spam to open relays must also be
blocked lest they resort to direct spamming. I'm working on getting the
list of dialups kept at http://www.erols.com/aburner/dialups.html into
an RBL-like domain.

--
                            Greg A. Woods