Re: [EXIM] Using ETRN with Exim?

Author: Conor Mc Goveran
To: D. J. Birchall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Using ETRN with Exim?
D. J. Birchall wrote:

Snip

> The catch, though, seems to be in the area of our server receiving the
> mail and knowing to queue it. Right now, if I send mail to any address
> within their domain, I just get this sort of thing:
>
> 1998-10-06 16:03:06 0zQdK5-00003Z-00 lowest MX record for xxx.com points to local host
> 1998-10-06 16:03:06 0zQdK5-00003Z-00 == coby3@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host
> 1998-10-06 16:03:06 0zQdK5-00003Z-00 Frozen
>
> Is there some config I'm missing?
>
> -Dan

Hi Dan,
    Basically your problem here is MX records. MX records are listed in
order of preference, I am assuming that the remote MTA located on the
customers premises has the lowest valued MX record ? If this is the case
then Exim will try to deliver to this MTA using the SMTP driver when
messages for that domain are receieved. Because this host is firewalled
the message cannot be transmitted so the error message quoted above is
sent to the 'sender' and the message is queued. When an ETRN is executed
I assume the same thing happens unless a port is made available on the
remote MTA at that time, if so the messages will be delivered.
 Really what you want to do here is to make your MTA the lowest MX
record and re-route the mail to seperate backend MTA that will hold the
mail until an ETRN is executed.
Regards,
    Conor.