Re: [EXIM] Duplicate sends for a mailing list

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Pete Ashdown
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Duplicate sends for a mailing list
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Pete Ashdown wrote:

> I have continual grief over Exim redelivering messages to some mailing
> lists, up to three or four times. My guess is that Exim is looking at
> delivery to an included aliase as a whole, rather than individual
> addresses. Thus if an individual address has delivery problems, there is
> potential for redelivery to the entire list.

It should not do this. Exim retains a list of end addresses that have
been delivered, precisely to avoid this problem. So something is going
wrong...

> Is there a way to make Exim expand included aliases to individual
> addresses? Here's some headers from a duplicated message. This list has
> nearly 20,000 subscribers and is very prone to this problem:
>
> Original, note the reception time and ID from good.net:
>         for <lds-gems@???>; Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:24:22 -0700 (MST)

> Duplicate with the same reception ID:
>         for <lds-gems@???>; Wed, 30 Sep 1998 06:24:22 -0700 (MST)

The duplication appears to be happening inside "domo" (Majordomo, I take
it), since Exim logs that it receives it twice from domo (a different
message id each time). This is nothing to do with list expansion, since
each message is for the entire list. It looks as though it should be
delivered twice to everybody on the list.

It could be that Exim delivered it twice to Majordomo, of course. What
do the Exim logs contain for these messages? In particular, for
0zOMCS-0002G2-00?