[EXIM] Accepting Mail for All Subdomains

Author: Jared Proudfoot
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Accepting Mail for All Subdomains

Greetings,

I'm having some problems (again), and I'm hoping someone can help...

What I'm trying to do is get exim to accept mail for any possible subdomain of
a domain we host. For example, we're hosting domain.com but for some reason
people keep emailing www.domain.com, this.domain.com, anotherhost.domain.com,
blah.domain.com, etc. What I want to do is accept mail for *.domain.com and
deliver using domain.com's alias file.

To try and accomplish this I've used the partial- search to look through the
my virtual-domains table. This seems to work well. Exim realizes that
blah.domain.com is part of *.domain.com and tries to deliver it.

My problem is when it trys to determine that alias file to use. My director
looks like this:

virtual_aliases:
driver = aliasfile;
domains = partial-lsearch;/usr/exim/virtual-domains,
no_more,
file = /usr/exim/domains/$domain/aliases.db,
search_type = dbm*,
modemask = 002,
user = mail,
group = mail

When exim tries to use the aliasfile, it opens up blah.domain.com and not
domain.com. Since I only have an alias file for domain.com, this fails.

1998-10-01 11:50:16 0zO3Sh-0002fc-00 virtual_aliases director: failed to open
/usr/exim/domains/blah.domain.com/aliases.db as a db (v1) file: No such file
or directory

Does that make sense? Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get exim to
this? Should I be trying to rewrite the addresses? Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jared Proudfoot